Saturday, June 9, 2012

It's Summer Vacation so Why Aren't You Just Going on Vacation?

I had the privilege of interviewing Kierstin Gentry before she is leaving for the Philippines with Wipe Every Tear (WET).  Here's how it went:








mfbcmissions:  Where will you be going this summer?


Kierstin:  I'll be going to Manila, Philippines to the WET Dahlia House (House of Hope).  And we'll be staying 3 nights in Navotos sleeping in a church there.
 Hope House
Photo source: WET Facebook page


mfbcmissions:  What are the dates of the trip?


Kierstin:  We leave June 16th at 7:30 pm and we return July 6th around midnight


mfbcmissions:  What is WET all about?


Kiestin:  Basically it's about bringing hope to the hopeless and love to the brokenhearted.
*from their FB site: 

     
     Mission

Wipe Every Tear is a team of disciples with a fearless love of Jesus committed to acting on His commission to the Church: to bring new life and hope to to the hopeless, the oppressed, and the brokenhearted in Metro Manila, Philippines.
Company Overview
Rescuing and bringing love and comfort to trafficked girls in the sex trade, orphans, widows, the hopeless and oppressed in Metro Manila, Philippines.
Description
Currently, Wipe Every Tear is working in Metro Manila, Philippines with trafficked girls who are transitioning out of prostitution.

We currently operate "Hope House" - a safe-house residential facility for young women trafficked in the sex trade. We offer counseling, training, education and discipleship as part of our holistic and Kingdom centered vision.



mfbcmissions:  What are you looking forward to on your trip this summer?


Photo source: WET Facebook page
Kierstin:  I'm excited about meeting the girls and building relationships with them.  We get to set up the house.  Right now they have very few supplies and furniture at the house.  Cole Valley Christian Schools raised up funds for us to use to purchase these supplies for the house.  My advisory group made pillows for the girls.  I look forward to going to the orphanage.  We are planning on taking them on a beach trip and hanging out with them.


mfbcmissions:  What do you hope to learn on the trip?
Photo source: WET Facebook page


Kierstin:  I hope to appreciate what I have here.  We'll be going to the slums and I know it's different and the different culture there.  I hope to remember how amazing America is. I want to come back different and closer to God.


mfbcmissions:  What challenges do you think you will have on a trip like this?


Kiersten: The food will be different, but I really like rice.  Physically the heat will probably be a challenge.  Also, there are just so many unknowns.



mfbcmissions:  How can we pray for you as you prepare to go?


Kierstin:  I still need some funds for the extras.  The extras would be like what Mr. Sacht calls his God pocket...it's where he has extra money in his pocket that he spends on people in need.  It's the extra money that he didn't already set aside for a specific task or person.


I also need a little bit of spending money while I'm there.  Basically all the money that I raised went to cover the cost of the trip.


Please pray for peace over the fears and apprehensions that I have. I've never been out of the country before and definitely not this far away from home.


Please pray for my health. And that the team can do a lot....we have a lot that they want to do.....we want to change the world!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment